Over Monticello Mountain either by the trail or route 53, then back via
the Kluge estates and Old Lynchburg Rd. Click on the map fro a detailed
ride description. Cue sheet:
1. From route 20 turn LEFT on route 53
2. Go over Monticello either on the Saunders Monticello trail
(http://www.monticello.org/parkway/trail.html) by turning right into the
parking lot off 53 and following Saunders Trail signs or continuing
straight on 53.
3. If you take Sanders trail turn right at the stone bridge at the top
to come back to 53. Then turn RIGHT on 53 to continue the ride.
4. From the 53/20 intersection go 3 miles to Simeon. Turn RT to stay on
5. After .25 miles on 53 turn RIGHT onto the James Monroe Parkway (route
795, Y intersection).
6. In 2.6 miles go STRAIGHT on Carters Mountain Rd (route 607,
intersection with Rolling Rd).
7. Follow Carters Mountain Rd for 5.5 miles to a T intersection with
route 20. Turn RIGHT on 20.
8. CAUTION on route 20 – heavy traffic- follow 20 for 0.85 miles. Turn
LEFT on Taylors Gap Rd (708) towards Walton Middle School.
9. Follow 708 gradually, then steeply uphill for 2.8 miles. Turn RIGHT
on Old Lynchburg RD (631).
10. Follow 631 for 6.25 miles to the County Offices (on the right). To
return to UVA turn LEFT onto Old Lynchburg Rd. and return via the SOUTH
route. To return downtown follow 631 straight for 2.8 miles as it
becomes Fifth St extended, then 5th St and then Ridge St to the
intersection with McIntire Rd/Water St/South St/West Main St.